|The Eric H. Weinberger Award for Emerging Librettists is a juried cash and production grant to be given annually to support the early work and career of a deserving musical theatre librettist. It commemorates the life and work of playwright/librettist Eric H. Weinberger (1950-2017), who was a Drama Desk Award nominee for Best Book of a Musical (Wanda’s World), and the playwright /librettist of Class Mothers ’68, which earned Pricilla Lopez a Drama Desk Award nomination.
The winner will receive $2,000 to help pay cost-of-living expenses. The winning musical will receive development assistance in the 2019 New Works Development Program of Amas Musical Theatre, which is administering the Award. The development assistance culminates in the work being rehearsed and performed by New York theatre professionals in an Amas Lab production. Amas was the development home for several of Mr. Weinberger’s musicals, and which produced the World Premiere of Wanda’s World and the New York Premiere of Tea for Three.
Submissions open September 13, 2018 and will closes November 30, 2018. All submissions must be sent through an online application that can be found at tinyurl.com/AmasWeinbergerAward.
Only one submission per playwright/librettists will be accepted. The winner of the award will be announced at or gala on April 1, 2019.
Amas Musical Theatre will not ask for any fees for entry or for any fiduciary involvement from the playwright/librettists at any point of the process.
The musical must:
• Be a full-length show (at least 80 minutes)
• Have no more than seven actors (actors may play multiple roles)
• Be complete and ready for readings, workshops and/or productions
• Have a demo that is an accurate representation of the music and style of the show (at least five songs)
• Have full underlying rights clearance of any pre-existing material used in the script (music, source material, etc.)
• Not have had a full production or be published in any way, even if with a different name.
What to submit
• All documents must be submitted as PDF files and they should be named with the part of the submission it refers to and the title of the show in the format of PART_TITLE, i.e.: for Tea for Three; BIO_TEA-FOR-THREE, SYNOPSIS_TEA-FOR-THREE, etc.
1. Biography and resumes of all contractually attached people such as composer, director, producer to the project
2. History of the submission’s development, and any previous titles it has gone through (if applicable, maximum one page)
3. Brief synopsis (maximum 150 words)
4. Brief artistic statement on the piece itself, including all source material, inspiration, goal, message, etc. (maximum one page)
5. Proof of rights (if applicable)
6. Demo and track listings (Demo selections to be posted as a Dropbox link)
7. PDF document of the full-script and sheet music, if available
For full guidelines visit amasmusical.org/Eric-H-Weinberger-Award
Last edited on Thu Sep 13th, 2018 04:13 pm by amasmusical1