Just joined. Glad to be here. Playwright from Miami, Florida. Bachelor's in theatre (1996) and now a full-time English teacher. Sadly, Miami has little or NO theatre life whatsoever. Very few opportunities here for new work. Keep me posted about any opportunities for new work. I tend to write relationship-driven comedies. Tootles!!!
I know actors who are working down in Florida all the time. Several Carbonell Award winners. Maybe you are not researching enough for places for your plays. Florida seesm quite helpful. I have had workings with the Screen Actors Guild office in Miami, and they seem great, too. Check out Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach/Del Ray area, too. Up north, too. And down into Key West.
I think there is a short play playfest called Summer Shorts in Miami.
I had a full-length play done in Florida in a full production and they did a beautiful job with it. And I had two readings of full-lengths at one of the premier Florida theatres. Mary Steelsmith on this site had a play done down there recently as well. Maybe she can chime in.
I'll check in with a friend down there and get you a website you can go to for Florida info. It might have more info for you.
wow. laughlines, I looked at your site, you're really good... read some things, sorta sampled the entire menu really....
You should really send out the stuff... Funny, I was pursuing screenwriting in California when a very similar thing happenned to me that brought me back to Jersey, thank god, New York is only a Path train away, and that has allowed me to do theatre instead.
oh, and I'm originally puerto rican/ half puerto rican half french... actually, that's not at all like being cuban... but sorta....
you could find me at http://www.myspace.com/mzsquared, cause i'm a big myspace addict... I have to get a website going and do post some of my one acts... till then, you and everyone who wants to can stop by my little myspace home.
Have a good one in florida, and remember... life is an adventure, accept it, things happen just the way they are suppossed to, and you may end up where you dreamed with a lot more "experience" to bring to the table.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I will take them to heart. Thank you, too, for reading my material. I'm glad someone is (he he he). I don't have a myspace profile so I can't write to you there, but I will look at yours. Thank you again.
I just stopped by both your sites and sent out a friend request...
You can also find me at my website at http://www.arlenestage.homestead.com which has a whole lot more about me, both professionally as a director, dramaturg and occasional actor, academically as a student at The Shakespeare Institute, and personally than MySpace (MySpace is the "Reader's Digest condensed version!).
1. Name or Nickname: Schmacko or Stephen (switch those)
2. The Last thing you wrote: A short play called 7 Sonnets - it's probably overambitious, but then I seem to do that a lot...
3. Your most favorite piece of work: Of mine, cuz that seems to be the way people are answering - an unproduced epic about domestic terrorism called Sons of the Revolution.
4. Favorite Movie: The Color Purple - I couldn't name a second favorite from the list of hundreds, but my top favorite is The Color Purple
5. Favorite TV show: I don't really watch TV - I guess old episodes ofKids in the Hall
6. Favorite Play: Edward Albee's The Zoo Story is a brilliant start to a career (also love WAoVW? and A Delicate Banance), I have seen two breath-taking productions of The Winter's Tale, and I love a few of Richard Griffiths'
7. Favorite Writer: Plays - Albee, Bill, and Griffiths. Books: Michael Cunningham, Julia Glass, Willa Cather, Evelyn Waugh, David Sedaris, Augusten Burroughs,
8. What is your favorite Word: Evolution
9. What is your least favorite Word: Bigot
10. What Turns you On? Selfless charm
11. What turns you off? Low self-esteem
12. What sound do you love? I love pressing all the buttons on all the noisy toys in a store at once! I love that the situation just sits there and invites aural chaos!
13. What sound do you hate? Metal scraping against concrete, a serrated knife's blade skating across a stoneware plate, or a fork bitten on by teeth
14. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt? Mayonaise taste-tester...but not really.
15. What profession would you not like to participate in? See above
16. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear god say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
"OK, what do you wanna do next?!"
Last edited on Tue Feb 20th, 2007 07:15 pm by schmacko
What a great idea! After belonging to this forum since last fall reading these entries do give me a sense of who others are.
1. Name or Nickname: Bill
2. The Last thing you wrote: a query letter to BIT Collaborative in LA (just before reading this thread)
3. Your most favorite piece of work: Roseville art pottery
4. Favorite Movie: Mary Poppins
5. Favorite TV show: Grey's Anatomy
6. Favorite Play: Anything by Edward Albee or August Wilson; Arthur Miller's All My Sons.
7. Favorite Writer: Robert B. Parker (I love to put my cares on hold and move into a completely other world I really enjoy the crime mysteries of Mr. Parker.)
8. What is your favorite Word: supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! It allows for so many possibilities and expands the realm of the possible by its very 'existence.'
9. What is your least favorite Word: negative ones: shouldn't, couldn't, won't, can't etc.
10. What Turns you On? Eyes
11. What turns you off? Being compared (Favorably or Unfavorably) to someone else.
12. What sound do you love? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW (It's so expressive. You can make it long or short, loud or soft and give it different meanings in the process.)
13. What sound do you hate? Ugh (It plops out of your mouth, lands on the floor and just sits there.)
14. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt? I'm a writing teacher. But, what I'd really like to be able to do is make a living as a playwright.
15. What profession would you not like to participate in? Anything involving heights-- they scare the bejezzuss out of me. So I wouldn't want to wash windows on a skyscraper, bungee jump, parachute or do anything that requires me to work more than about 6 feet off the ground. (So please don't ask me to hang lights.)
16. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear god say when you arrive at the pearly gates? "Welcome."