|Athena Project--located in Denver, Colorado--is proud to announce the call for submissions for its Plays In Progress Series (PIPS). Three to six new plays will be selected based on a blind submission process and given a dramaturg, director, and cast for presentation. This PIP Series is an opportunity for new plays to be developed in the model of a Table Reading which includes approximately 3-5 hours of video conference time with the dramaturg, director, and playwright and 1.5 hours of readthrough/rehearsal before performance. The dramaturg will moderate a talkback following the public performance. Over the course of approximately April and May 2021, conferences will take place with rehearsal and presentation to take place in early June in Denver at a location to be determined. Scripts are accepted from March 1 - April 15, 2020.
Submission Guidelines are as follows:
1. Playwright must be a woman* and may submit only ONE full-length script. Full-length is defined by at least 60 pages in standard playscript format.
*At Athena Project, we believe that “woman” means many things and can be a complicated term. We recognize that “woman” does not automatically include all aspects of the gender spectrum. We want to create a safer space for the expression and growth for all women, trans and gender nonconforming individuals.
2. Previously unproduced plays only. Scripts with prior workshops, readings or academic productions are accepted, but the script should be revised for the playwright to get the most from this opportunity.
3. Submission must include:
A. BLIND script in PDF format - PAGE ONE of PDF script MUST have TITLE, CHARACTER BREAKDOWN & SYNOPSIS of script, 200 word limit (This PDF must contain NO playwright contact info**)
B. Resume in PDF format
**Contact information must be listed ONLY on resume and submission form, not on the script, the first page of which will be its title, a character breakdown and a short synopsis (submissions will be read blind).
4. Plays submitted without supporting material will be disqualified. Presently, we cannot accept musicals.
5. We recommend the playwright be able to travel to the area for the performance weekend at her own expense. We will select 3-6 playwrights to participate in the PIP Series and hope to strike a balance between local and national work. Exact schedules will be worked out with the director, dramaturg, and playwright. See timeline below. Travel stipends are offered.
6. Submit here: https://athenaprojectarts.org/get-involved/submit. After you submit, you will see an immediate confirmation statement in the submission form informing you of receipt of your materials by Athena Project.
PLEASE READ THE FAQs here: https://athenaprojectarts.org/plays-progress-faq. Please contact LiteraryManager@AthenaProjectArts.org if you have any further questions.
Deadline to submit all materials is midnight, April 15, 2020***
Three - six finalists will be selected by October 2020
Directors and Dramaturgs will be selected by April 2021
Casting will be in May 2021
Plays In Progress Series will be in early June 2021
***Athena Project reserves the right to close submissions before April 15, 2020.