|Submissions for The 2012 National NewBorn Festival are now open through June 2011. Now on its sixth year, “NewBorn” is MTWorks flagship program, created to find talented emerging playwrights from across the US, introduce their work to the New York community, and open new doors to regional voices. For the first time MTWorks will be accepting new musicals for consideration.
Submitted plays and musicals must meet the following criteria:
* The world of the play/musical must take place in a region outside of New York City.
* The play/musical must not have had a prior production in NYC.
* MTWorks strongly encourages writers living in any region of the United States to apply.
The selected playwrights will be awarded:
* One full reading of their work in a festival environment.
* Assigned professional director / musical director and cast to work on their play.
* “Playwright Spotlight” Newsletter received by over 3,000 members of the NY Theatre Industry.
* Networking “Meet the Playwrights” Event.
* Complimentary tickets to MTWorks shows, invited dress rehearsals and other special events.
* Artistic and professional support from the MTWorks staff.
* Second reading if your play/musical wins The Audience Favorite Award.
* Eligibility for the MTWorks Board of Director’s Excellence in Playwriting Award.
* Consideration for future MTWorks productions.
Only interested in full-length plays and full-length musicals at the moment (at least 90min in length).
Applicants must submit the following:
* A Cover Letter (can be in the body of the email).
* A ten (10) page excerpt of your play.
* A half (1/2) page synopsis.
* If you are submitting a musical also include one mp3 that best represents your score.
* If you applied for NewBorn before, you must submit a different play.
* You can only submit one play per year.
All material must be emailed (all together in one email) to firstname.lastname@example.org with [title of the play and your name] on the subject line.
If your contact information changes between your submission date and November, you are required to update your information by sending an email to email@example.com with [updated contact information for-your name] on the subject line.
MTWorks will select the strongest candidates based on the plays/musicals overall theme, dialogue and structure.
MTWorks encourages scripts with large casts, different ethnicities and diverse backgrounds. We accept applications from all cities in the United States. Whether the play/musical is a drama or comedy, it must fit within MTWorks mission.
The request for your complete work is determined by David Stallings, Artistic Director. The final selection committee is comprised of David Stallings, Artistic Director and other artistic staff. This process is what we call “The Living Room Series.”
March 1st – June 1st, 2011
(submissions outside of these dates will not be considered)
Around November 1st, 2011
The 2012 NewBorn Festival:
Late January – Early February 2012