|Notice. Although there is no reading fee attached to this 'festival', if accepted, there is a $200.00 fee to participate. There doesn't seem to be any sharing of the box office, but there are a lot of tools to produce your own. There are prizes. Just read the fine print. ~Paddy
Venus/Adonis Theater Festival 2016
Our Eighth Festival Season
There is no question why Venus/Adonis has taken the world of playwriting festivals by storm, becoming the second largest festival in the country in just 4 years.
It's because playwrights enjoy staging their plays with us!
We are a group of playwrights who, after years of staging our plays in NYc festivals, said: "Why don't we create a festival that includes everything we dreamt of having while being part of others?"
The result is beyond our wildest expectations. In just a few years, Venus/Adonis has caught fire as the number of submissions we receive continues to grow every year.
Is this sheer luck or an acknowledgment of what we offer?
Let's find out:
Our participating playwrights receive:
1) Acknowledgement in the form of excellent prizes: $2,500 for Best Play and $500 each for Best Actress, Actor and Director, as well as
$300 for Best Musical and $200 for Best Original Play. This is more than any other U.S. festival that we know of.
2) A two-and-a-half month-long festival that lets each production breathe, with 45-minute set-up and breakdown times and prime performance hours. And since we offer free tickets to all shows for the cast and crew of every production, participants have the opportunity to learn from the work of their artistic colleagues.
3) Five hours of tech for every show, whether 30 or 90 minutes long. We believe that each play needs the same amount of care no matter how long it is!
4) A 99-seat theater with beautiful, fixed red fabric seats, and six places for wheelchairs.
5) 54 lights on our grid! Yes, you read right; 54 lights, including colored gels and LED lights in order to let you paint the moods and atmospheres of your scenes.
6) A projector that covers a 12x16 area on our stage's backdrop.
7) An electric piano that all productions can use.
8) Fifty-five prop pieces, including varied pieces of real furniture, that every production can use. Ninety percent of our past participants have created their sets with our props. No more double parking rental vans, while you rush to unload props, trying to outsmart meters!
9) Enough storage space to allow you you to leave your costumes and props in the theater during your run.
10) Winners selected by a panel of outside judges, who are well-known in the world of NYC theater. We don't have popularity prizes for bringing the largest audience. In our festival, sometimes the barest production with the smallest audience attendance wins first prize simply because it was excellent!
11) Two professional reviews and four written evaluations for each play selected for the finals.
12) No seasonal volunteers! One of our principle founding members is always at the theater to support you during your tech, box office times and performances
13) The opportunity to have your play professionally filmed for a very affordable price.
Venus/Adonis is our dream festival created for you!
Please visit our website for more info.