|Piper Theatre Productions yearly festival, Musicals Now, which features new musicals from emerging artists is seeking submissions. Our first season, Prospect Hill, featured a new queer musical by Mark A. Galinovsky and Lily Ali-Oschatz.
One show will be selected to be the outdoor main stage show of our July 2022 summer season. We are currently looking for submissions.
What we’re looking for..
The Musicals Now Festival is about development. Selected artists are expected to be part of the team; meeting with director and designers, attending casting sessions and rehearsals, and speaking with our summer youth education members about what it takes to put on a new musical.
We’re looking for vital and urgent stories to share, artists with great passion, and characters that touch hearts and challenge minds.
This is a festival for Brooklyn audiences told by Brooklyn artists. We’re seeking storytellers & musicians from all walks of life, all racial backgrounds, identities, neurodiversities, sexualities, ages. This festival strives to be open to all.
We’re particularly keen on projects that use strong elements of Physical Theatre that adhere to Jerzy Grotowksi’s Ten Principals as taken from the book 'Towards a Poor Theatre' by Grotowski pages 211 - 218.
Things to Consider...
Productions are budgeted at $35,000 which includes: six performances, a small band, professional sound with lavaliers, a director, a three week rehearsal schedule, full technical and design support.
Piper has worked under Equity Showcase Contract in the past.
We’re an outdoor theatre company situated in Washington Park, Park Slope at the Old Stone House in front of a reconstructed Dutch Farmhouse which interprets the first Battle of the American Revolution. All performances are performed against its stone backdrop. Make your play revolutionary! It’s a unique and special place.
Design Realities at Piper…
Sets: We usually use levels and set pieces to tell our stories. Shows with heavy set requirements aren’t our bag. We want to put our funds into people first and don’t want to see a huge set put in a dumpster at the end of a season.
Lighting: Our shows start at 8:00 pm and it doesn’t get terribly dark till 9:00 pm, so lighting is rather limited for the first hour. Clean blackouts for the start of our plays can’t happen. Please consider transitions for that first hour.
Costumes: Solid 20 year Costume stock collection.
Sound: This is our biggest production cost. We use lavaliers / professional rented sound system. Our bands are usually no more than four or five musicians.
Terms and Conditions
1) Due to the large volume of entries, Musicals Now is unable to give feedback.
2) Plays submitted may be original ideas or adaptations from other forms providing that permission to adapt the material has been obtained from the copyright holder. The rights for all material in the work must be secured by the playwright prior to entry including any songs, poems or quotes.
3) A limit of one entry per Artist.
4) Artists will retain copyright of their works. Piper will not hold further rights to any productions outside of July 2022 performances. We do request that future publications of your work will cite citePiper’s role in the play’s development.
To submit your entry, please send the following information to FilmFreeway
PIPER THEATRE PRODUCTIONS / MUSICALS NOW
1. Your full name, a bio, address, phone number and confirmation that you are over the age of 18. If more than one person is submitting, please give both names.
2. Attach a PDF version of your play with online LINKS to at least 6 of your songs.
3. Attach a separate PDF with a one paragraph synopsis of your play & a character breakdown.
Questions: Please contact email@example.com
Submissions are due midnight (NYC, EST) Friday September 30th, 2021.
The winner(s) will be announced December 2021.
Awards & Prizes
One play will be selected for production in July 2022
$3000 honorarium will go to Song Writer / Book Writer team or individual.
One play will be selected for second placement and if the winning play cannot be performed then an offer to the second spot. An honorarium of $300 will be awarded to the second place winner.
Rules & Terms
1) Be at least 90 minutes in length. And no more than 120 minutes. Our shows cannot go past 10:00 pm